Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Parent volunteering

Tonight I went to my first Parent Council meeting and Fundraising Council meeting for Crazy 1's school.

As this is my first exposure to this as she is the first of my children to go to school, I was a little shocked. My expectations were obviously a lot higher for the attendance and I must say I was a little disappointed in how many parents were there.

I have always felt that my children's education should be a big part of my life and I have the responsibility as a parent to be informed as possible. I do admit that I am not as able to be as involved as I would like due to Crazy 2 and Crazy 3, but I will most likely more than make up for that by the time Crazy 3 is attending school.

My disappointment came from the fact that for the first meeting there were maybe 25 parents, most of whom came because the Volunteer Orientation was part of the Council meeting. When the Fundraising Council meeting started, the amount of parents that stayed was cut in half. I guess my expectation was that there would be about twice that amount of parents. It seems that most of the work falls to a few dedicated parents. I have the utmost respect for those parents that do step up do accomplish the Lion's Share of the work and only hope to live up to that when I have more time.

I know that my time commitment may be limited at this stage, but I still want to make sure that I have as much information as possible about what is happening at the school and have some input on direction and ideas for the future. Who knows, maybe all of this is just some of the control freak in me, but to me, you can't complain if you aren't informed.

No comments:

Post a Comment