Friday, January 4, 2013

New Years Resolution 2013

Along with the regular exercise more, eat healthier and try to lose weight resolution I make every year (and never seem to keep), I decided to make one other resolution. This ones is around my parenting.

I have decided to not use the word NO as much with my children. This doesn't mean that my crazies will be allowed run wild, there will still be rules and boundaries, but I think the actual word NO is used too much in my house and tends to be ignored.

If Crazy 1 asks for a snack 15 minutes before dinner, instead of saying 'No, dinner will be ready soon.' I am going to try to just say 'Dinner will be ready soon, you can eat then.'

If Crazy 2 is too loud when I am trying to get Crazy 3 down for a nap, instead of saying 'No, you are being too loud.' I am going to try to just say 'You are being too loud, I am trying to get the baby to sleep.'

It seems like such a simple thing, but let me tell you, it is a very hard thing. Anything that is against the rules, or dangerous, or not smart starts with a NO in the response. It takes a lot of self control to not use NO and just explain things.

I can already tell you it's worth it though. So far in the past few days, Crazy 1 has talked back less to me and is more willing to understand reasons now that I am taking the time to explain versus just saying NO. I hope this will lead to a little less stress and frustration around our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment